Dilliwala Butter Chicken Recipe | Cooksmart | Sanjeev Kapoor Khazana
Chef Sanjeev Kapoor shows you how to make a classic Delhi style butter chicken from scratch. Rich and creamy, with just the perfect amount of spices and succulent pieces of grilled chicken – this recipe is fool proof. Have it with crisp tondoori or thin rumali rotis for a taste of food heaven.
DILLIWALA BUTTER CHICKEN
750 gms chicken, cut into 4 large pieces on the bone
8-10 bright red medium tomatoes
2 one-inch cinnamon sticks
8-10 green cardamoms
Salt to taste
3½ tsps Kashmiri red chilli powder
Juice of 1 lemon
1½ inch ginger
10-12 garlic cloves
2 green chillies
400 gms yogurt
2½ tbsps ginger garlic paste
½ tsp garam masala powder + to sprinkle
2 tbsps mustard oil
1 tbsp oil + to grease
3 tbsps butter
2 cups readymade tomato puree
1 tsp dried fenugreek leaves powder (kasoori methi)
2 tbsps honey
A few sprigs of fresh coriander leaves
3 tbsps fresh cream
1. Roughly chop the tomatoes. Put them into a large mixer jar and grind to a puree.
2. Put the puree into a non-stick pan. Rinse the jar with a little water and add to the pan, mix and let it cook.
3. Add cinnamon, cloves, green cardamoms, salt and 1½ tsps Kashmiri red chilli powder and mix well. Cover and cook till the mixture thickens slightly and all the flavours blend well.
4. Put a little water in the lower container of the Gas Oven Tandoor and keep it on heat.
5. Make a few incisions on either side of the chicken pieces and put them into a large bowl.
6. Add lemon juice, salt and 1 tsp Kashmiri red chilli powder and mix well and keep the bowl in the refrigerator for 10 minutes.
7. Roughly chop ginger, garlic and 1 green chilli and add to the pan. Cover and cook.
8. To make the 2nd marinade put yogurt into another large bowl. Add salt, 1 tsp Kashmiri red chilli powder, 2 tbsps freshly ground ginger-garlic paste and freshly ground garam masala powder and mix well.
9. Add the marinated chicken pieces to this bowl and mix well. Add mustard oil and mix well. Let it marinate in the refrigerator preferably for at least 4 hours.
10. Strain the tomato mixture into a third large bowl.
11. Lightly grease the upper container of the Gas Oven Tandoor. Keep the marinated chicken pieces on it, cover and cook.
12. Heat butter and 1 tbsp oil in another non-stick pan. Add ½ tbsp ginger-garlic paste and saute till fragrant. Add the strained tomato mixture, readymade tomato puree, dried fenugreek leaves powder and honey and mix well and cook.
13. When the chicken is almost done, baste the pieces with a little oil, cover and cook till the chicken is completely done.
14. Finely chop coriander leaves and 1 green chilli and add to the tomato gravy.
15. Cut the chicken into smaller pieces and add to the gravy. Add cream and mix well. Sprinkle a little garam masala powder and mix well.
16. Transfer into a serving bowl and serve hot with naan or tandoori roti.
Click to Subscribe:
Best cooked in Wonderchef Kitchenware. Buy Now on :